home | battlebots forum | battlebots.com | buildersdb | pine view's blog

Follow the combined efforts of the Curhans and Eddie Burgess as they prepare for BATTLEBOTS 2010!
We Need Your Help!

After three years of involvement in Battlebots, and a national high school victory under our belts, we decided that it was time to go pro. With a student at the University of South Florida, another at Carnegie Mellon University, and a professional engineer in industry combining their knowledge and understanding of all things mechanical and electrical, the team is set to do well. If you would like to support our efforts, please send us an email at dancurhan@gmail.com and let us know that you are interested. There are many ways of supporting us!


Tuesday, June 2, 2009

more ant stuff

I stopped at robot marketplace yesterday to pick up more parts for my antweight. I bought a Spektrum DX5e, a Spektrum AR6100 receiver, a battery (Common Sense R/C 800mAh 2S LiPo), and two 56:1 micro gearmotors. The gearmotors are SO SMALL! It's hard to adjust to working with parts this small when you're used to building 120 lb bots. After I went to robot marketplace, I went to the shop, and started machining with the plastic that we had. I made two of the mounting brackets for the drive motors, and I got one of the two support blocks down to the right size. I need to cut slots in both, and put in two #4-40 tapped holes. I think I need to revise the design of the support system slightly because I expected a step between the motor and the gearbox, but the gearbox is flush with the motor, so there is nothing in my design to keep the motor from twisting. I need to deepen the U-channel I made so that the sides of the cap piece come down beyond the motor and notch with the support block. Looking at a computer-generated 3D display of these parts, it is hard to really grasp the scale of this robot. It is TINY! My endmills are all bigger than the parts that I'm machining. It's a really strange feeling. But I'm getting excited about building this! I'm going to get the aluminum for the frame and maybe even steel for the drum later this week. I need to finish this bot in two and a half weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment